Parish of St Thomas of Canterbury Fairford, with St Mary's Cricklade

A     A     A     A     A

St Mary's Catholic Church Cricklade, Wiltshire

Church history

Loading slide-show images 11 22 33 44 55 66

Mass has been celebrated in Cricklade since about 1939. In 1955 a former Baptist church was acquired and re-opened as the Church of St Augustine of Canterbury.
Until 1983 Cricklade was part of Cirencester Parish but it was transferred to Fairford when it was decided to lease the medieval parish church of St Mary which had been declared redundant by the Anglican Diocese of Bristol.
St Mary's Church was handed over in January 1984. The building was founded nearly 1,000 years ago and its features include a fine 12th Century Chancel Arch and Medieval preaching cross.
This Church is a member of a local ecumenical partnership.

Friends of St Mary's

The Friends of St Mary's Cricklade was formed in 1998 to care for the building and a restoration appeal has been launched. The Friends of St Mary's website, includes more information about St Mary's together with more pictures and genealogical information

More history and pictures

More information about St Mary's and further pictures are located at: Wiltshire Council community history site; also available is an excellent timeline showing the history of Cricklade.